Friday, August 9, 2013

Paddle Holster and Accessory Bungee All on the Cooler

I saw different versions of this idea on Alex Aguera's website and on other SUP Fishing blogs. I figured I needed one too. First thing I did was split a 2" PVC pipe - a little bit more than 50-50 (more like 55-45, you will obviously keep the bigger piece) - using Charlie Bisgard's table saw (I don't have one because honestly that tool scares me - kickback nightmares). Next I trimmed it to length - about 18" end to end. Then I cut an angle on the ends - the front is one inch shorter on each end than the back end of the pipe (side that goes toward the cooler). The Dremel came out of hibernation - I used it with a sanding barrel to round out any and all edges on the cut PVC - my luck I would step back and gouge the crap out of my legs, bleed all over and chum up Moby Dick - I like catching, but that would be messy now wouldn't it??? I wanted the mounting screws to go all the way through the cooler wall and into backings made out of old cutting board (similar to how I rigged the kayak anchor trolley a while back) - I ended up using 2" #14 stainless sheetmetal screws. I drilled out holes on the front and back edges of the pipe so I could tighten the screws straight on. When the half pipe was on, I added the bungee fittings (I DID NOT DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE INNER COOLER WALL _ JUST THE OUTSIDE). Now when I have to manage the rod and reel, I can drop the paddle into this cradle, set a bungee and enjoy the sleigh ride. In the pictures, you can see the bungee run through the holes in the front of the pipe that I used for lining up the screwdriver - this is so I can keep a measuring trough on the cooler as well as the paddle - one less thing to clutter the deck. Two other notes - if you look really close, you'll see the holder is canted to the left - I did that on purpose to encourage water drain off. And last but not least - this cooler was $39.99, not a $250+ Yeti. Choose wisely what you will drill into... I plan on testing this modification out this weekend - ice in the cooler, paddling around with La and the kids and landing a few fish - it ain't surfing, but it is pretty close!

No comments: