Sunday, August 11, 2013

Keiryu Rod Repair (Replacing a Lilian)

I wrote about losing a big carp and the flyline attached to it AND the lilian off of my Daiwa 43MF Kiyose rod. I already ordered a replacement tip to ensure I don't have this issue again (as much as I can help it - I need to negotiate with the big carp so they more readily take my flies and stop breaking my gear). But while I'm waiting for the new tip to arrive, I took the liberty of removing the lilian off the tip I broke on the TUSA Ito and used it to fix the Daiwa. I used an Xacto knife and a Japanese flush cutting pliers to clean off the tip of the Daiwa. I made sure the old lilian from the broken Ito tip would work on the Kiyose tip (it did) and super glued it in place. The repair seems to be good to go - I pulled with my fingers straight outward, and then I rigged up a flyline and pulled with it. No issues. If this ever happens to you, when you clean the tip of the rod so you can glue a new (or reclaimed) lilian on, you can easily see where the old lilian ended - stick to cleaning the area above that point. My tip seemed to have a slightly rougher finish to the area under the lilian - maybe for ensuring the glued on lilian has a good seating point. Like most projects, this was easier than I thought it would be. Now to find the time to get back to Lock 7...

No comments: