Sunday, December 5, 2010

Shifty Winds and "Look What I found!!!"


Marlon had a friend's birthday party to go to and Noe wanted to go and play with the Bday boy's little sister (her classmate), so I had a free afternoon. The winds were 8-12 from the SSW so...

I loaded up the 11'2" and the windsurfing rig and hit Long Beach. I got to the parking lot and broke out the anemometer - 9 mph on the dot. I dropped the board off at the water's edge and went back to the truck to rig the sail. As I was picking up the sail and walking out to the board, I noticed two kids and their mom hanging out where I left the board. As I got even closer, I noticed the kids were standing on something while the mom was taking their picture. And then they got off MY BOARD and she was picking it up and inspecting it...

I was ten feet away from them and they still did not acknowledge me - the only other person on the beach, and headed straight for them (actually the board) and carrying a windsurfing sail. By the time I was at the board, the mom was on her phone (I'm sure telling someone that she found this big ass board on the beach and she needed help carrying it home so they can sell it..) and I had to ask her to put the board down. She asked if it was my board and I said - yes - without being too much of a jerk (and if you don't already know, about the only thing I hate in this world is when people touch my boards). I sensed an ever so slight challenge coming from her as if she was about to break out the "finders keepers" mantra - but then I essentially walked the sail rig right past them and pulled out the mast base and started to screw it in to the board.

She then started to say she was just about to call the number on the bottom of the board to see if the owner had lost it - I told her those were the dimensions of the board and that she wouldn't reach anybody.

Man, that's the last time I bring the board down to the beach first....

Then, get this, the wind died. And I didn't bring a paddle.... I went out anyways and 20 minutes later the wind started to fill in again. An hour later - after several tacks and jibes, including a few longboardy clew jibes - I pulled up to the beach and packed up for the short ride home.

Weird day....

No comments: