Thursday, October 9, 2014

Fishing Report 10/8/2014

I tried to catch the flood tide at the salt marshes by Cedar Point. Glassy smooth water and LOTS of bugs. When I get into conditions like that, I always drop into my "SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP" mode - mind over matter. I had the St Croix Tidemaster and the Orvis Helios 8wt out with me. I had specifically gone out trying to find redfish tailing in the flooded grass. I found flooded grass and tons of finger mullet - and tons of bugs (did I mention that already?). I didn't get any hits on the fly (although I oddly enough saw mud minnows attacking the Waldner Spoon Fly I was casting - they weren't much larger than the fly), but I used the time to practice casting. I am at the point where I can 'feel' mistakes in casting while they are happening, and I can correct them on subsequent casts - the neat thing is this has never become tedious - I'm pretty sure I've found the next thing for my next 40 years (what surfing/windsurfing/kitesurfing was for my first 40). On the way in I was blind casting a Gulp Shrimp on a 1/4 oz black jig head and I got to see color on a big speckled trout - unfortunately it was just holding onto the bait and when it saw me, it left the game. I stuck around the same spot trying to reengage but it didn't happen. What I did get was a hookup with the first Southern Flounder I've caught in a very long time (if you've been keeping up with this blog, you'll recall I caught a small Peacock Flounder out in the Indian Ocean - but that was then and this was a Southern). I got this guy by the "skin of it's teeth" - literally. This guy was 13" (legal keeper is 12") - dinner!!!

No comments: