Saturday, January 21, 2017

A New, Old Chair and the Start of Annual Teak Maintenance

Since we were out, Marlon and I went to drop off our old kitchen sink faucet at Reuse Hawaii. If you haven't been there, it is a great place to grab some lumber and there are some hidden gems that come through there as people bring household items that can be "Re-used". Well, just as I was making our faucet donation, there were several teak chairs that caught my eye. I asked La if she like them and she said yes. The only thing is most of them needed a little more TLC than I had time for. However, there was one that was in relatively good condition... and it came home with us. So there went my afternoon - sanding with 60, 100, 120 and 220, then cleaning this new chair and the big bench so I could oil both. As you can see, the van was behind the sanding effort - so then I had to wash and dry the van. Well - with Noe's help I did get both pieces cleaned and oiled!!! I'll probably clean and oil the table and the two folding chairs that are downstairs tomorrow - then I'll do the other two chairs and the small table in the upstairs lanai next weekend. Now that we're finally planting roots and these teak pieces are in a subtropical environment, it is actually pretty fun to clean them and give them an annual oiling. Hopefully that will keep them strong and in good condition for years to come!

No comments: