Tuesday, February 7, 2017

A Couple of Flies That Didn't Go Fishing

This past friday, I got the urge to tie up some flies - but it wasn't until late that I was able to sit down in front of the vise. These two 'fries' are the results. My intention was to use these to test out the long casting capability (would they hold up to the higher force). But when I go to the beach Saturday morning, I figured I'd work my down from using bait (to get rid of the skunk), to grubs and then the flies. While using bait, I did hook up to this roi (they get much bigger, but this is not a small one). These roi are tasty as they are grouper, but out on tropical reefs they can pick up ciguatera - better safe than sorry. But these are also invasive out here in Hawaii and they have been decimating the native fish. I ended up taking this guy and buried it next to some burrowing crab holes (dinner for them). The tide was pretty full, so I didn't get back out to test the flies. There's always next time!

No comments: