Monday, June 10, 2019

Foil (crunching) Sunday Afternoon

Just after I fixed the main wing, I take the Slingshot out to foiling and in between a couple of waves, I hear "crunch - crunch".  My old friend Jimmy was out shooting video with his drone but had to leave early.  I went it to say bye, and I took a look at the main wing to see what all the crunching was about.  "HOLY SH!T" - some front to back scratches, tip damage and a fairly deep gouge.  The tide was not even that low...

Oh well - a good session other than that.  Had a few long rides and no getting bucked.  I moved the foil forward 3/4" in the tracks to get more lift.  Next time I go out I may move it forward again to get even more lift - a front wing this big should be lift faster and sooner.  The waves were about the same as Saturday, but they were easier to catch.  The tide was at 0.9' - shouldn't have hit anything with the 24" mast...  oh well - I guess I needed more practice patching gouges in solid carbon fiber...



No comments: