Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Curved Japanese Block Plane




I'm trying to get the last bit of shaping done on the first three boards so I can get them painted and glassed and wet.

The regular block plane was too big and gouges too much when you're down to the fine sanding. So I finally broke this out - a curved Japanese block plane that I bought when we were back in Japan (duh).

If the blade were just a smidegon narrower, it'd be perfect, but closer is better than butchered.

I've just got to slap some spackle on the boards to fill in some gaps and it'll be time to paint.

In the meantime, I'll work it out with the kiddoroos what else they want on the boards (drawings of plesiosaurs, butterflies, sharks and horses no doubt).

2 comments:

Ray said...

Can you put a decal on the board?

Victor Velasco said...

As long as it's less than 8.5 x 11 - I can scan and print on rice paper.

If it's bigger, we can piece it together or draw it on.