Friday, July 19, 2013

Future Drone Pilot

When I was growing up, I wanted to be an Astronaut. And I believed the way to get there was to be a Naval Aviator. I managed to pick up a ROTC scholarship and got my Mechanical Engineering degree - I believed that working to understand the physics behind getting a heavier than air device to fly would help. With all the bernoullis on aircraft (turbine blades, wings, control surfaces, etc) I figured I'd be set for selection. Unfortunately, all that studying and my genetics pushed my eyesight to pre-LASIK unacceptability. I am glad things turned out the way they did and I have zero regrets. Fast forward a bunch of years and we have Marlon flying his Parrot Quadcopter. This isn't a toy - it has a pretty sophisticated control system and has two cameras installed. He is getting more proficient at controlling it and he's got it banking turns and flairing stops. I'm not sure if you've read the recent reports on the Navy successfully landing an unmanned drone on an Aircraft Carrier - makes me wonder in 10 years when Marlon is graduating from college if there will even be pilot positions open - more like remote piloting. For now, these two quadcopter barnstormers are having summertime fun!

No comments: