Sunday, July 7, 2013

Small Mouth Action and Sexy Equipment

After an hour and a half or so of casting flies and catching, La and the kids pooped out and settled back into the camping chairs for snacks, book reading and relaxing. I kept at the catching. As I said in the previous post, I strung up my Orvis Helios 9'/4 piece 5wt rod, Hatch 4+ reel and Orvis Power Taper 5wt floating line - it has been rare that I fish a spot with tons of room to back cast - take advantage of the terrain. I went through a few different flies, but these small mouth bass fell for a killer bug. I saw the motion of the fish moving peripherally, cast the fly in front of the fish, made quick short strips and WHAM!!! The line went tight and the fight was on!!! A couple of jumps, a couple of runs and a couple of small mouths to hand for the pictures and released to fight another day. The peace and quiet mixed in with the sight fishing for target species reminded me of the days I was fishing for bonefish and trevally out in the Indian Ocean - only this was better because La, Marlon and Noe were there to share this with me! I threw in the gratuitous gear shot only as a recommendation to get gear that works - it doesn't have to be the most expensive stuff out there (I bought the rod and line on deep sales - 40 and 35% off retail - you just have to pounce on the sales when you see them), but man this gear gets me excited -

No comments: