Thursday, July 4, 2013

More Blue Flies for the Tenkara Bum Blue Fly Contest and Catching Bluegill Like a Cold

Here's a set of flies I tied up last night. They all have the blue yarn requisite for entry into the www.tenkarabum.com blue fly contest (go to Chris Stewart's site for more info). I'm saving the medium and large sized flies for Friday (fishing at Beaverdam Reservoir), but I tied the tiny 22 blue midge/sabiki onto the Daiwa Soyokaze and cast to some micro fish (I think they were mosquito fish) in the lake early evening. I got some of the small ones to chase, but even this size 22 hook may be too big. I am trying to get a competitive entry into the smallest fish category - it is going to have to be one of these tiny guys if I stand a chance. The fly does work (just not small enough for the micros). In fact I couldn't keep the small Bluegills off the fly - I got 7 of them in the short time I was out. I missed setting the hook on several others - the fly being too small to set every time. Funny how when you're not trying to catch something, that's all you get - that's fishing!

No comments: