Thursday, December 25, 2008

More fishing posturing




I have rekindled an old acquaintance - actually, Marlon has.

He has been asking to go fishing. I haven't been fishing since before I graduated from high school ('89) and when I picked up surfing I never really turned back. I had other diversions from surfing (dinghy racing, scuba diving, fish tanks), but really for the past 20+ years, wave and wind energy have been my singular focus (next to my family and profession of course).

I haven't exactly gone fishing yet - with or without Marlon - but I have been posturing to go. Two spinning poles, several rigs and spoons, some sabiki gear and a California license are in possesion and waiting for the right time/conditions.

I have gone lobstering multiple times and I have been researching spearguns. Spearguns are the stuff of seaborne legends - man holding his breath, diving into the sea and hunting creatures in an environment that could easily do you in - it's their world (we only have lungs).

I'll post more on spearguns later.

A pole spear is the more practical tool for aquatic hunter-gatherers. The 'Toyota' to the "Lexus" that spearguns are. Here is my spear - a 6' aluminum Seahorse (made with pride in Hawaii). Shamefully it has not be caressed by the Pacific yet - but soon...

I'll post a more "Holiday" oriented post soon....

No comments: