Monday, October 28, 2013

More Project Sunday - SailRite Ultra Feed LSZ-1 Christening

I have always been intimidated by sewing machines - mainly because I didn't understand why they worked. When we bought this sewing machine during the Sailboat show in Annapolis, I ended up asking tons of questions to the guys demonstrating the machine - and my fear of sewing machines slowly melting away. For my first project, I dug out a board bag that I keep the paipo in. I had made a mistake a while back by assuming that I could sew in a long zipper and use the bag from the top instead of the side zip. Unfortunately I didn't get the zipper sewn in and the board bag, although functional, required lots of concentration to make sure the contents didn't fall out. That ended yesterday - the bag was thick and didn't want to stay aligned, but it got it repaired. I even broke a needle and heard/felt how that happens. I spooled a bobbin and threaded the machine a couple of times. I got the thread started multiple times and learned to keep a finger on the ends until the first knots were sewn. I've got a ton of projects in my head now and I am glad I got over the reluctance to sew. Now I look forward to taking notes to determine what needle-thread-material combinations are out there and make rod socks, rack strap chaffing gear, fix old rack pads, hiking strap pads for the Weta, handles for potted plants and tons of other useful things.

No comments: