Sunday, March 28, 2010

Kiting Gulfport




I finally kited over on the East side of Gulfport Harbor (usually we go to the West side). This is the spot where the locals hang out.

Yesterday the winds were not behaving as predicted. The forecast called for strong, steady SE winds. The yacht race I was supposed to sail in got cancelled - Roger said "I'm at the Skipper's meeting right now standing a nervous crowd of sailors that don't want to go out". Granted at that time of the morning, the winds were jumping and the swell outside was 3', but that would soon change.

So with my mid-day now freed up, I'm trying to get a kite session lined up. Went to Gulfport to meet Joe. Driving down, the trees were NOT moving...

Went back home and did a bunch of other things to make good use of time (laundry, dishes, cutting out templates for the mini-SUBs from their blanks, massaging feet, playing soccer with the kids). Then the wind started back up.

Went back to the kite spot and rigged up the V4 16. To tell you the truth, I've never felt dated flying this kite, AND I still didn't. I love the C kites from 2004! But seeing all the latest kites did rouse my curiosity.

La and the kids came so I had my photog on the beach, but I also had the GoPro on the kite lines. La, Marlon and Noe played with the training kite. As the water warms up, hopefully I can get La trained back up - this is the year!!!

Fun pictures!

The wind was barely enough for my 16. If I brought the Flash board (old 4'10" Naish), it probably would have been better (more float than the Stretch Trow I was using). I'll have to get the lightwind board finished up sooner I guess (but priority is on the kid's boards).

Today the winds shifted to Westerlies - we'll see what brews up...

1 comment:

E said...

I got the UCT-2 surf shack cleaned up, put some lighting in and we are almost ready to start shaping some boards (need to by blanks). I feel like a longer long board, and Elisabeth wants me to make the kids some boards. The pictures of your kids' boards has encouraged me to start something. Great to see you! Surf has been good and consistent here. 2 Apr was a big 10' faces at C street and the strand.