Sunday, September 22, 2013

More Fishing for Comparative Study

Not really - but I did catch some small mouth and low and behold they were colored a little lighter than their slightly more southerly cousins (or their brothers/sisters that went with the flow over the Mathers Gorge...). I went out with some friends to Algonkian Park and paddled the Hooked SUP armed with two 5wt rods (150 grain intermediate sinking line; 5wt floating line) and the St Croix Ultra light spinning rod. I used the blue pencil popper and it KICKING BUTT!!! I caught this 15 inch small mouth and it was an epic fight!!! The blue popper also tricked a large-ish green sunfish and a smaller medium sized large mouth (yes I wrote that on purpose ;) . The ultralight gear brought in a couple more small mouth (smaller than the 15"er) and several more sunfish. I saw several catfish in the 18-24" category and a few big carp, but I didn't have anything in my tackle boxes that was interesting to them. The picture with my tongue hanging out is proof of the pure awesomeness happening on the river. Awesome fishing trip (and only 20 minutes from the house)!

No comments: