Sunday, September 8, 2013

BAM!!! Check this fish out!!!

Taking a cue from Saturday morning, I opted to wait until later in the day to go fishing. I also wanted to use the Hooked SUP board so I went to Accotink Creek. The wind was coming in from the WNW-NW, but not too strong. I paddled out and as I made my way to the weed beds, I saw several largemouth bass swimming away - the board let me sneak up on them well as I was less than five feet away when they bolted. At that point I knew this was going to be a good session. There were minnows swimming freely among the dense weeds - without a care in the world. I set up the ultralight rig with a 1" shad softbait and within the first few casts and I got this big bluegill. The very next cast and I hooked into this Needlefish. While I was reeling it in, it was jumping like a tarpon - pretty much the whole way in. I had a dry spell for a few minutes, then I landed the first large mouth - measured out at just over 11 inches. That fish jumped and tried to throw the hook but the jighead was in the bottom of it's mouth - solid set. I cast again and I got an even bigger one - 14 inches and way rounder. This fish was peeling off drag and had a good bend in the rod - adrenaline pumper!!! When I got it up onto the board, I saw I had just barely lip hooked it - I couldn't have asked for a better fight! I wanted to catch another needlefish, but ended up with a couple more bluegill and I called it a day. The ultralight setup I have has made the last several weeks of fishing an absolute blast! It's not surfing, but I gotta tell you - catching is pretty fun!

No comments: