Thursday, September 5, 2013

Channel Catfish Have Gotten Bigger

Late post - I spent part of the last bit of the long Labor Day weekend fishing at Goose Creek (again). I brought the St Croix Ultralight spinning rod and the Orvis Helios 5wt to try my luck. I was able to catch a bunch of the resident Green Sunfish casting to the dropoffs, shelves and rocky outcroppings. I saw a few carp, bass and large channel cats, but they would look at my flies and turn away (yes - I have tied better). After a bit, I switched to the spinning rod and tied on a size 8, 1/32 ounce Trout Slayer jighead and placed a Gulp Cricket on the hook. As I waded back upstream, I saw a huge boil of fish. I looked for a little bit and it turned out the school was composed of catfish. I cast into the school and the cats went into a feeding frenzy. I ended up hooking five or so of these guys. If you go back on this blog a few months, you'll see this same school but the individuals were much smaller. Another few weeks and I suppose these fish will go down river as the temperatures begin to fall. That means I need to get back there this weekend and catch them some more ;)

No comments: