Friday, July 5, 2013

Fishing and Paddling Friday at Beaverdam Reservoir Part 2

I learned something today - I prefer SUPs to kayaks. The wind kicked my arse - I didn't stand a chance without a rudder (and I didn't have one). We did get back in one piece and I cast the fly to the fish around the floating dock - I really got to thinking on the drive back: why did I get the kayak? I got it because I could take the kids out with me if La needed to do other things. I got it because it seemed to be very compatible with the local/region waterways. I got it because it was another way to enjoy the water and way something new. Don't get me wrong - I have enjoyed using the heck out of it, but after today's episode in the wind, I realized I am a way better SUP paddler than I will ever be a kayak paddler - so I will be putting the Big Tuna up for sale. We'll replace it with a couple of SUPs (one for the kids, one for me) for non-surf paddling. More to follow. Back to the pictures and today's outing - I ended up catching more bluegill at the dock. Eight ended up in the tank - and there were several more that took the hook. There were also other types of fish - smaller, more aggressive against the fly than the bluegills - that I couldn't hook - next time. When we got back to the house, I started on another project I've had in my head for a while - widening the board rack. I'll post more on this tomorrow.

No comments: