Monday, July 22, 2013

Letting Yourself Go the Way of the Spare Tire

I've hit on this topic a few times over the past months - going wider isn't necessarily a bad thing. The wider boards give you the little bit of edge when you need it most (going over the top of a breaking wave standing up, taking a step back to set the hook, or multi-tasking). But storage options have to be considered in addition to just the boards. I thought the IKEA shelving rack I bought back in California with it's 33" width would be the be all - end all garage solution. The ULI FAQ posed an interesting quandry. Then came the Jackson Big Tuna. Neither of those would fit into the rack, but I made it work - tilting or leaning vertically. With the Hooked SUP, I didn't want to do that. I went to Home Depot, bought some wood and screws, and after a lot of measuring, cutting and a couple of battery charges on the drill, I widened the rack from 33" to 37". After culling the herd over the past year and streamlining down to just a handful of boards, having an organized place to store them is a good feeling. Getting a wider pair of pants must feel the same way...

No comments: