Friday, May 13, 2011

Alaia + Jigsaw = Paipo + Hand Planes




As you might recall, a while back I built this alaia out of pawlonia strips. I did try to take it out a couple of times, but with my limited water time, I felt it more prudent to SUP surf or distance paddle instead of trying to learn to use the alaia.

So it hung on the wall in the garage at the Gulfport house.

Well, if you've hit the links I have listed here on this blog, you've surely seen some hand planes and paipos running around. So I get this idea as I'm packing for Virginia Beach earlier this week - "I really don't need an alaia to take up space again - what I could use is a paipo and a few hand planes to play around in the beach break with...."

The last thing I did before closing up the garage to begin our road trip was to break out the jig saw and take it to the alaia. La couldn't believe her eyes and repeatedly asked "are you sure you want to do this?" even as I was finishing up the cut.

Well - turns out the alaia is a much better paipo and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face - Thursday at 66th St at the North End of Virginia Beach!!! Washing machine conditions (no breaks between the short period wind swell), and the water was in the high 50's), but had to try out the "new" board!!!

No comments: