Saturday, May 28, 2011

Back online


Ok - it's been a while but I have a good excuse...

I am now stationed on XXXXXXXXXX and the move from Gulfport has been a long road.

Well - since the last post, I have flown door step to door step 43 hours (with 6 layovers),
Settled in at both the office and the room,
Gotten a windsurfing license and windsurfed out here,
Gotten a powerboat license and took a short motorboat ride,
Got tested out of the sailing classes and sailed a Laser Pico (with jib),
Scoped out the kiting launch,
Went fishing at the northern tip of the Western branch of the island (caught a humuhumunukunukuapa'a and got a huge bite that teased me by releasing the hook before I pulled it up),
Drove to the Southern point of the island and saw a titan triggerfish, a school of adult batfish and 18 turtles all basking in the shoals,
and of course did a lot of work (in-briefing and meeting a lot of people).

So what do I think of my new home?

Well if I could bring La and the kids out here, we'd never leave. But since I can't, it's still a great place. Despite all the awesome things to do and the wonderful location, I do miss the family terribly (this tour has driven the nails into the coffin - time to find a different line of work that is a lot less volatile with choice of location - if I have to leave, we want it to be for shorter and on our terms - living where we want to live - hell - life is too short isn't it?).

The Buddhists say "life is suffering" - a different way of viewing life as challenges to be overcome - but for them the suffering has no end. For us, the challenges never stop. For me, this is another challenge (but thank goodness for Skype).

Anyways - on the island, we executed a terrific nautical tradition this evening - a Dining In. For those that don't know, special occasions merit the gathering of the officers at a command to dress up in our best, celebrate the company and relish the moment. Well - with the upcoming Change of Command ceremony out here, the wardroom celebrated the successful tour of the outbound Commanding Officer.

What will make this one memorable for me is the prescribed uniform - Tropical Mess Dress. An unusual combination of the Summer White Top, the Service Dress Blue Trousers, Mini Medals and the ubiquitous cumberbund. As funny as it sounds, it was rather cool... and I don't say that lightly and it is also literal (much cooler considering our latitude).

I don't have a camera out here yet (it and an underwater housing are on their way), so I couldn't take a picture during the event. A far second is the photobooth picture in my Q room (sad, yes I know).

So - stay tuned for a play by play description of what is it like to be Gilligan, or Wilson (not Tom Hanks) as I live life out here 7 degrees south of the equator for the next 51 weeks or so.

I love my job. I love my job. I love my job.

Aloha

No comments: