Sunday, February 3, 2013

Cold Sunday Tying Frenzy

Besides the mini frog poppers, I did tie up a bunch of Shad Darts in four different color schemes. I really dig tying - makes you think about what material goes on when. If you want to crank out a bunch, it pays to plan out the order of build. I've only been doing this for a little over a year - if you've ever thought about it but were apprehensive, just do it - and when you catch fish on the flies you've tied, you'll be hooked for life! Anyhow - when the water warms up and the Sakura come into bloom (Japanese Cherry Trees), the Shad come in to the Potomac to breed. I haven't experienced this month long event (American and Hickory Shad renewing the circle of life - with the intermittent interruptions from two legged creatures armed with sticks and string doing a lot of pulling on the mouth and handling), but I am well into the preparations. Fully armed amphibious assault craft - check. 8wt flyrod and reel with intermediate sinking line - check. Lots of different colored shad dart flies to entice the pickiest of fish - working on it. I've got a lot of space in the box for more flies and a bunch of number 4, 6 and 8 hooks and there are a couple of months left before the run starts - should be a good time fishing (I can't wait...)

No comments: