Saturday, January 7, 2012

Balancing...




Went flyfishing down south this morning.

The pictures are what I landed:
Three Darts (this one was pretty big - with all it's surface area, it was a great fighter)
Two Goatfish
One Bonefish (forearm sized)

I let all these guys go on their merry way.

What I don't have pictures of are the three medium sized Bluefin Trevally that took the fly, ran line out, fought a minute then spit the hook -

Not once

Not twice

But three times this happened to me.

After the first one spit, I contemplated using more force on the line during the fight. I figured I did not have enough tension on the line if they could spit the hook. But what I didn't want to do was break off at the tippet.

The small darts I let run, but the rod could easily overpower them (and flung the last one out of the water...).

On the other side of the scale were the three spitting BFTs.

I'm going back down tomorrow to settle a score... and possibly find some balance.

No comments: