Wednesday, July 18, 2012

They Work!!!

Tried out two things today - the paipo I recently finished and a GoPro Hero 2 La and the kids got me - both work great! The paipo catches smaller waves very easily. I'm not sure how it would handle steeper waves yet (the rocker it has is very subtle), but it picks up beach break at the spot we go to in Virginia Beach really well. It turns really snappy too - lean to the inside of the turn and you're going; then pull the other way and SNAP - you've just made a good cutback. The rail and template shape work to promote maneuverability. I caught some good waves that peeled (relatively speaking - this was beach break after all) and the board got on to clean face pretty easily - all in all, the board is great and will be a good traveling partner. The only way I'll get skunked now is if it's flat. The GoPro Hero 2 worked great as well - so good it even caught my weird hair loss spots on my forehead (duckdiving picture). This HD version is bigger than the 5Mb version, but the pictures are also sharper and more defined (but you knew that). If you haven't gotten yours yet, don't hesitate - go out, get one then get outside! La tried both and from the picture, she positively endorses both!

2 comments:

Eric Hahn said...

Right-on brah! What kinda wood you make dat bugga outa? Koa?

Victor Velasco said...

Paulownia - denser version of balsa. I bought it from Foam, Fins and Fiberglass over in Ventura. I had to glue the strips together, cut out a template and work the rails with a block plane. You can probably buy a worked up blank now (Jon Wegener down in SOCAL). This was half of the original board I made. The other half will get cut down into hand planes for the bigger days (shoulder high - any bigger and I'll go to a short board).