Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sailing the Pass




In addition to breaking in La's SUP, I dragged the Weta out to the beach. We picked the boat ramp just East of the Walmart in Pass Christian - it offered a shorter run to the water and deeper water with the tide.

I made three separate runs on Sunday - the first two were solo with 13.8 mph being the fastest I got (out of 13-18 mph gusty winds). I had all three sails up and out - but the reacher didn't unfurl all the way. At the end of the first run, I went back in and reworked the reacher furl (I can't win with this sail).

I tried to bribe the kids to go out on the second run, but they weren't having anything to do with the boat - more interested in building a sand "water park". That's okay too... so the second run was solo. 13.8 was the most I could get the second time around. Russ Seignious with Lauren, Mike and Max stopped by the beach. I told them they needed to go home and change into beach clothes and come back. Low and behold - they did.

I had already taken down the jib and I heard La saying "they're here!" Up went the jib and off Me, Russ, Max and Mike went to the horizon. We got 15.8 out of the wind and one of his kids would always be on the leeward tramp (getting sprayed hard from the side-on waves that were being torn apart. Nearly capsized the boat once, but got the weight properly again.

This was our last day on the water down here in Southern Mississippi. We will miss this place for the secluded beaches, the mellow traffic and the short commute to the beach. You could not have paid money for the beautiful weather!

No comments: