Sunday, March 29, 2009

Succulents



This plant is ubiquitous here in Southern California.

The DOT plants it all along the freeway system.

It grows all along the shoreline.

Developers plant it in neighborhoods.

This group was at the Oxnard Beach Park. The TEAM had it's annual Easter Party for the kids of the families at UCT TWO. We had a pretty good turnout and great weather. The flowers these plants put out have always mesmorized me - stringy petals and the vibrant purple and yellow contrasted by the green leaves - when you take the time to notice the little things around you, you suddenly realize just how much there is out there and how awesome it all is.

And I went SUPing - forgot the GoPro so no evidence. I brought the Naish 11'6" thinking La and maybe some others would give it a go, but alas it was me taking on the sea alone. At first it was ugly - it had been a while since I had this board out in sizable waves (Saturday was shoulder to head high - swell from the West). But by the time I was ready to call it quits for the day, I was paddling the board out through the breakers (standing up) and zooming into the steep beach breaking walls (and getting a few cutbacks with this ginormous board). The waves would have been easier to ride on the 9'6" Walden - but they were challenging and fun on the 11'6".

To be a good surfer - to me anyways - means you need to be able to adapt to changing conditions and equipment. I am a GOOD surfer!!!

Aloha!

No comments: