Tuesday, November 16, 2021

More Progress on Garage Projects - 11/15ish

Yesterday I skipped foiling to get some garage work done.  Not sure why this fuselage got all funked up - but I used a green scrubbing pad to knock off all the weird powdery white crusty stuff.  I only kept the front foil on for a few sessions... I'm not going to chance this happening to the rest of the rig so I'm going to break it down completely from this point forward.

I also noticed that there was water in the mast (75cm).  I drilled a hole in the silicon at the base section of the mast and drained the water.  I'll reseal the mast at the silicon caps (in between the screw holes and all should be good again).

Tonight (16th) I also re-taped the male ferrule.  The 1210 was a perfect tight fit - but the 980 was still a hair loose.  I guess this is what the crowds are talking about when they say the components of the Takuma suck.


I also got these five rear stabilizers finished.  The top two are standard thickness.  The top one is Marvin's and second one is Prayot's.  I've tested both and these are really awesome rear stabilizers.

The bottom three are made a degree thinner than the top two.  More on the performance in the next post, but I'm really happy with these!


And I got some more progress done on Shari's board. I took the spliced on EPS foam block down below the finished point yesterday with the random orbital sander.  I did not take a picture of that, but it was noticeably lower than the surrounding portions of the board.  This evening I went ahead and cut out the fiberglass patches for the fill portion of the repair.  I mixed up a batch of epoxy with cappuccino resin pigment and added some aerosil.  I got everything on the repair area.








Next step on this board repair is to sand the fill and apply a last layer of epoxy that has orange tint in it to get the top coat to match the surrounding - then it is sanding and detailing.

No comments: