Friday, April 23, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 4/23/2021

The forecast was for decent trade winds throughout the day - so I packed my stuff and hit Hickam after work.  I set up the NWFB with the HA1125/232v1/A+ 60cm fuselage all on the 85cm mast.  I used the Ensis 6.0m wing.


I was out from 3:30 to 5:30.  You can see the deep lull during the middle of the session (sucked).  The HA1125 is the following:

- no low end; needs power to generate lift (where the HS1850 just pops up)
- runs when powered up (I hit 17.1 mph - could have gone faster)
- turns differently; I got some transitions in, but it is like starting from ground zero
- turns well when powered up
- pulls upwind at crazy angles
- hard to start; drops off instantly if you hit stall speed

It is a fun front foil - I'll put in my time with it, but without the low end, this will definitely be a stronger wind day tool.




I was out running Kalani (he was on the HS1550) and pointing higher.  The swell lines that run past the reef normally out run me (on the HS1850) - I was able to run them down and over take them today.


Good fun!!!

No comments: