Sunday, April 4, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 4/4/2021

With the trades forecasted to come back nice, strong and steady, I passed on the dawn patrol and opted for a midday wing foiling session on this Easter Sunday.  Brought out the NWFB, HS1850/chopped 300 rear stabilizer with the 85cm mast.


I was out from around 11:30 to 2:30.  When I first got out, the wind was on the light side so I brought out the 6.0.  Within 30 minutes the wind ramped up to what it was forecasted to be and I headed in to switch out the 6.0 for the 5.2.  The wind was all over the place - super gusty at times, others you'd see big holes in the wind coming across the water with long fetch lines in between.  I'm glad I switched to the 5.2 (and truthfully at times the 4.5 would have been good).


Prayot and Roland came out to practice some more - I tried to stay inside to give them some pointers.  After a while they were staying up on foil on their strong side stance (regular footed so their outbound leg).  I was in position to slot the channel markers so I headed out and hit Firsts for a couple of waves - it wasn't really breaking, but I did ride the traveling/shoaling waves.  It was kinda shallow so I left and headed back to the inside to work on my turns


Hit a peak of 16.1 knots - but mostly hovered in the 14+ knot range (which is what the HS1850 is limited to based on the surface area - drag relationship).  Towards the end of the session, I made three runs out and back and stayed on foil the whole time - tacks on the outside with strong wind on the exit, and switching on the inbound runs and ripping into the jibes - turning/transitioning is so much fun!!!


Here is a picture mid-tack


Making a run with the front foil just under the surface


Pictures from this angle were from port tack runs (outbound).


And this is just switching feet at the top of a tack.


I can't say this enough - this is so much fun!!!


No comments: