Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 8/26/2023

Race day!  Nick and I carpooled and got a spot by the first coconut tree.  Hung out with Arvin and Matt from Hickam.


The wind was way up and way down.  With a full rising tide, getting out was pretty easy (as was landing).

I ended up using the Eagle 1090/DW210 with Kalani's SW2 6.0


I got in three separate runs - first was playing around before the start, second was the race and the last was playing in the surf waiting for more people to get back in.


Way up - then way down.  Made for a crap shoot for what equipment to put up.  Turns out that I rigged big for the lulls, but that did slow me down a bit (both is foil size and wing size).  If I could do it over again right now, I would have setup the Eagle 890 and the SW2 6.0 - to move faster through the water.


Pre-start



Race track - I'm guessing the group stratified based on foil size (the smaller the faster).  I beat a small cluster of guys up to the mark (blinker buoy), but I went for the inside track and I ran smack into a long lull.  The others took the outside track and had wind (and I dropped several spots from this).  I also had some trouble with the dive boat going back to the marina (and not acknowledging that I am a sail vessel and have right of way).



And when I finsihed, there really wasn't anyone in my immediate vicinity.  So I figured I'd just go ride some waves - turned into over 5 miles of waves, but who is counting....



I came in 12th in the Masters group.  Nick came in second from last - but finishing a race like this where he is at experience wise is a pretty awesome accomplishment!!!


Next year - bigger wing and smaller front foil.

W:86/F:81/S:32

No comments: