Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Fixing Rear Stabilizers

Tim called me after the Saturday dawn patrol - he grounded his foil on the way in and the rear stabilizer (Armstrong V 200) lost a tip and some of the material where it wasn't supposed to come off (inside the "cut" chop shop line).  I told him to bring it by so I could look at it.  This tip was not salvageable (like Harris' stabilizer was). 


I took the rough edges off, balanced the other side and poured some epoxy.  I let it sit over night, then started to rough shape.  Here's the initial result.





I asked if he wanted the tips to be sharp - he said no.  I dulled them down (just a slight rounding), then wet sanded the affected areas.  At this point I also wet sanded my chopped down 300 to get the reef rash off (had to balance the other side as well).


Wet sanding works miracles!


No comments: