Saturday, September 25, 2021

Dawn Patrol - 9/25/2021

Marlon and I hit the dawn patrol today.  The reports predicted 1' to 2' and the wind was supposed to be down.  The tide was supposed to be full.  The tide and wind reports were correct - the swell was bigger than predicted - chest high on the sets.  I should have put on the NL160... instead I had the PNL185.  The tide - swell combo had the inside breaking pretty fast (pitching lips) and the outside wasn't exactly pushing enough to takeoff.


Marlon brought his longboard and was catching a bunch (when doesn't he).


I had the watch on cycle mode again - it is way easier to discern real rides from just paddling attempts.  Pretty much just look for the red lines.  I moved the mast back more after the first ride.  The PNL185 surprisingly has a lot of lift.  I am noticing with the large span higher aspect ratio foils, there seems to be a twitchiness to the ride until you get your balance setup.  The lower aspect ratio foils balance out way faster.  In the end, it really is just a matter of getting used to what you have under your feet.


I got some speed on the last wave - caught it on the outside and rode it all the way in to the shower.


Here's where the mast ended up.  The NL160 was actually aligned right where the GL180 was.  These three foils have a lot of over lap - but purpose wise I'd use them for different applications.  PNL185 for waist and smaller waves; NL160 for head high waves where I want to turn a lot; GL180 for going longer distances on chest high waves.


I'm going to start using the Go Foil for winging - I've been thinking about the lack of wind I had yesterday and how Eli was able to keep on going.  He was on Go Foil...

No comments: