Saturday, June 24, 2023

Race Day!!!

Roland and I participated in the Voyager x Wetfeet Downwind Challenge race today.  Lots of competitors.


I wasn't sure about the finish line and whether there would be coral heads or not - so I opted for the Takuma Kujira 980/178/Stringy Direct Bolt fuselage on the 100cm Project Cedrus Clydesdale mast.  The wind looked pretty gnarly so I also picked the Reedin SW2 5.2 wing.  

This was the short stint out to the start line.  There were some waves breaking in the area near the channel - I had to sampo a couple of them.



This was a "everyone sit on your board, wings and paddles down" start.  After I got up, I pretty much stayed in the regular foot stance for most of the race.  The long mast really helped - I fell 3x, the first being a lull in the wind, the second was a ventilation, and the third was getting caught in really crossed up chop.  I did switch to goofy as I was closing in on Diamondhead - I figured I had a good line on the finish buoy and could lean over more when I rounded the buoy.


I swear I was going faster than this...


This was the wind at the airport - I think it was blowing much hard between HK and Suis.


The finish line was getting swamped with big sets coming through - timing was everything.  I made it through without incident and even got to ride a wave in - but there were wingers that missed the channel and needed to be pulled off with a jetski assist.


Roland finished the race also.  He didn't use his tall mast, but wished he had.  He switched tactics midstream and just started to ride the swell and flag the wing.

Fun day!!!

W:59/F:57/S:28

No comments: