Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 5/24/2023

Tough conditions today - rising tide (that was still a little low as I paddled out - a much longer paddle than usual where I had to fight through sets), light winds with a strong north component, and rising surf that were coming through in sets.


If I had know it was going to be this light (hardly any texture on the water...) I would have brought the 5.2


I still managed to get some really fun rides in - the Eagle 1090 made lemonade from the tough conditions.  Roland didn't have the same results - he used his small Nugget (40 liters), his Ensis Spin 4.0 (that is losing tension in the canopy and thus power), and a Vyper 150 - all good if the wind was up, but he spend a bunch of time waiting for the gusts.


Not a whole lot of blue (down off foil) - With the NE wind, there were bands of doable wind that you can see (where the orange and red are concentrated).  With more east in the wind, the higher speeds are usually more spread out.


You can totally see the correlation above and below.  I was stuck outside when the lull dropped.  I thought I had a long paddle ahead of me (definitely not the first time, and certainly wouldn't be the last), but the wind did come back up.


At some point I had a good gust and lined up for a run in - I cut my losses and headed in.  Roland got stuck again.  SO much so that when he finally made it in he said "I'm done winging - until next month"

I guess we will be prone foiling tomorrow (or if the wind is up we'll just forget the comment and remember it as "I'm done until next time"

W:47/F:41/S:28

No comments: