Monday, October 5, 2020

Evening Session - 10/5/2020

Marlon and I hit WPB - the swell that was projected to hit arrived - waves up to chest high on the sets.  I thought we were going to be surfing in waist high waves so I set up the GL180.  There were several waves where I had just a little too much lift.  The tide was dropping from a small high around 1.1' - I bolted on one of the new rear stabilizers so I wanted to make sure I didn't hit bottom.  I ended up paddling the foil upside down longer than I normally would have.  And the wind had a bunch of North in it - made for clean conditions.


The only weird thing was where the swell would break.  Either way on the outside, or way on the inside.  I didn't want to venture too far in (so I wouldn't ground), but I didn't want to wait too long for the outside waves to break.


Now more on the rear stab.  I set up #2 (just shy of 15").  This stab is amazing!!!  Super maneuverable with not much loss of lift.  On my first couple of waves, the setup was so nimble - I felt like I was shortboarding in my prime.  I think this stab will pair extremely well with the GL140 in chest to just overhead.  I'm going to shape another one - maybe 15.75" for the GL180.  I felt like this profile was faster, looser and more dynamic (less stable) than any other rear stab I've used to date.  The one draw back I'll note after this first session was just after takeoff, I would have to work a little harder to get the foil to lift to the right height.  This was something I took for granted with the cut down P18W (trimmed to16") stabilizers I've been using - stable lift all the way through.  But with that stability, you do have to put more effort into your turns and they aren't as tight.  I'm going to bring the out again tomorrow, but I'll reset the setup with the GL140.

No comments: