Sunday, October 4, 2020

Fixing Foil Tracks on a FFB

I had made some exploratory cuts into this board, but today I wanted to cut out the space for the new foam block.  The owner (Kalani) said the boxes "cracked" and you could see it with a foil mounted on the board.  Before I started wet sanding the front wings this morning, I set the tall Go Foil on top of the box and when you put a little pressure on it, the front of the futures boxes did flex down into the board (they aren't supposed to do this).  So after mowing the lawn, I started routing - here's what I found:




A layer of maybe Gorilla Glue was sitting under the foam block - and that was the layer that would give with pressure from above. 






I kept routing and would stop periodically to vacuum up all the shavings.  On one stop, I could feel the shavings were wet.  Eventually after I cleared a large section, I did find the whole "wall" was wet. 



I went ahead and just routed the whole space so I could be done for today.  Next step is to let the whole thing dry out, then I can set the fiberglass/innegra liner for the bottom of the slot, place epoxy (with milled fibers), clean up the block, route out the finbox slots, epoxy those in (again mixing with milled fibers), set a cap sheet of carbon fiber and a sanding layer of fiber glass, fair in the edges, set a fill coat, grind the slots out, then

No comments: