Saturday, October 17, 2020

Fine Sanding Batch No.2 Done

After foiling this morning, I spent a few hours dialing in the final shapes on the Batch No.2 rear stabilizers.  Lots of work on the lower grits (60-120-180) - but it definitely paid off.  The sanding went quick on the 220-320 passes, and the end products were super nice.


I got the centerlines marked and the pilot hole locations marked (no picture though).  Tomorrow morning after surfing, I'll drill the pilot holes, drill the screw holes, cut out the countersink, fine tune the fitment, label and coat with clear enamel.  Part of the reason I am working on these is to try to sell some - but I want to see the difference between the shapes from Batch No. 1 and the "Crepe Spatula" in Batch No. 2.  I also want to try a 15" paired with the GL180 - the experience I had with the KD tail and the HS1850 made it clear to me that the rear stab is as critical to the overall performance of a foil setup as the main wing is.  The flex offered by the G10 is worth the little extra weight over the standard Go Foil carbon fiber rear stabs.  I'm going to have to figure out how to make a mount so I can use these on the Armstrong (although their rear stabs are pretty good to begin with - I don't think I'll see the huge difference in performance I got with No. 2 and the GL140).

No comments: