Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Evening Session - 10/6/2020

The swell was definitely hitting - chest to just overhead on the sets.  Initially there was some wind, but it died back to leave behind glassy walls of pure, unadulterated stoke.  I brought out the skinny 4'10" again and switched back to the GL140.  This setup with the new tail is the most radical vehicle I've ever had the pleasure to rip on!!!!

I had 5 really long rides from 274 feet to over 400, and I got as fast as 13.8 mph (although I'm starting to question the accuracy of the Garmin - I recall my longest wave being more towards the front half of the session).

I would swoop and glide and could make really hard directional changes.  On one wave my leash was caught in between my front foot toes and I was coming down a steep takeoff - I couldn't clear the leash so I just rode through the wave that way.  The leash made me lock my feet back a hair farther than I normally have it and the balance felt like a dynamic top - riding a pinhead but well.  I went right and just kept swooping around to line up on the meaty parts of the wave.  I was looking at head high walls while I was pretty high up on the shorter Go Foil mast.  And with the sunset, I think this was one of my best sessions to date - having #2 bolted did help.

Mahalo to the Tasman Sea for sending us this swell!!!

No comments: