Friday, December 4, 2020

Wing Foiling Session - 12/4/2020

I've been eyeing the forecasts and there has been minimal winds for days - and there will be minimal winds for days to come, but for today - well there was a call for wind and wind there was!!!


I pulled up the the launch at 1500 and went to measure the wind.  My anemometer was reading lows of 10 mph and highs during the gusts just into 20 mph.  I pumped up the 6m Ensis.  Prayott (first time on wing) and Harris were out.  While out winging, the gusts were really apparent - from shlogging to nukin' in the same run.


I had altered two variables (against my better knowledge) - pushed the foil up another 1/4" and then I removed the washer from the rear screw of the rear stabilizer.  The foil setup felt a little faster (less drag from flattening the rear stabilizer), but it also seemed harder to get up on foil (less lift out the back).  Between the two, I'd rather lift out of the water sooner (so the washer is going back in).  One thing I did notice was the higher riding height and the squirtiness of the tail.


The other thing I found out was that I don't like footstraps in this sport.  I went in after the first run and took them off.  They were in the right spot for riding, but that also turns out to be the best spot for standing to pump to takeoff.  All that work to get them on... oh well - at least I know.

The other thing that happened this session was I made a few complete jibes.  It is getting easier.  Still need to work on my exits.  You can actually see the loops where I made the jibes.

I think next time I'm going to set up the Armstrong HS1850, 60cm fuselage, CF300 tail on the 85cm mast.  It's going to be several days before there is enough wind though.  That'll give me time to add a layer of fiberglass to the front of the board (final seal coat), to pull off the footstrap inserts and to reinstall the deck pads.

No comments: