Saturday, December 19, 2020

Wingfoiling Session - 12/19/2020

The wind was supposed to be slightly less than yesterday - I ran some errands with La and Noe while waiting for the wind to come up.  It was 11 by the time we got to Hickam Harbor and the wind had filled in nicely - maybe even as strong as yesterday.  I pushed the mast further up by another 1/4" to lessen the back foot pressure I was having to exert yesterday.  There were a couple of other wingers that came in as I was headed out - they said the outside was more consistent.  Everything felt great today - foil was balanced, wing was just a touch too big for the gusts (but perfect for the steady state breeze), and I was practicing jibes (like this one below)!





This next picture is pretty significant.  It has only been over the last few sessions where I've been able to complete jibes.  Yesterday felt like walking through the jibe door.  Today was back to back success.  I have been nailing my outbound jibes now and even riding toe side for significant distances.  This picture is me coming out of an inbound jibe and riding out of it.  I am crediting the Armstrong foil's maneuverability in getting me to this point.



Honestly I felt very comfortable winging today - through the gusts and sheeting out to manage, going through the turns both tacks and jibes on the outside (missing both on the inside - but getting better).


The scratch repairs I did yesterday felt really good - the foil was quieter and smoother through the water.  I did feel like I was limited in speed - I think next time I may either swap out the Uni 300 for the HS232, or swap the HS1850 for the HS1250 - but only one so I can discern what differences each change is making.  But this is supposed to be the end of the wind for a bit.



My hands are so worn out from winging these last two days


I stayed out for 2.5 hours.  My arms, back, legs and hands were all Jello when I came in - and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face!

No comments: