Friday, December 18, 2020

Wing Foiling Session - 12/18/2020

The forecast called for nuking winds today - and for once it was not wrong.  Gusts to 35 and steady winds up past 20.  I got to use the Ensis 5.2 on the water for the first time.  There was a lot of buffeting in the wind - but other than that and a few times the gusts got really strong, this wing felt controllable the whole session.  I launched around 11:30 and came back in around 2:30.  Same everything as last time (Armstrong HS1850/Uni 300/60cm/85cm) - just moved the mast forward to counter the slightly heavier than required back foot pressure (I think I can still get it slightly more forward - but it is comfortable where it is).


I mainly practiced jibes today.  And I was able to nail nearly all of them on the outside, even riding toe side for long stretches (and a few times even jibing back to the outbound runs).  When I did switch on the outside, I would ride back in towards the launch and jibe inside.  I made 50% of these, but today really felt good on these transitions.  A few more sessions and these will feel like second nature and I'll start driving straight for the waves.


I did hit bottom way passed the left most shallows buoy.  I didn't notice I had sailed that far up.  Minimal damage - but I'll still try to clean it up.  This was a spectacular day on the water, and I felt I really opened up a lot more skills today!

No comments: