Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 12/20/2021

 The wind was filling in so I headed to Hickam after work (or maybe just a hair early) and pumped up the Reedin Super Wing X 4.2m.  Compared to the Ensis V2 4.5m and even the Reedin regular Super Wing 4.2m, this one had some weight to it.

I ran it without a harness line and without the leash extension first to get situated.  The foil choice of the day was initially the PNL185.

The wind was pretty strong - this wing definitely likes steady conditions over 20.  There is zero give on this wing - the Xply harnesses and delivers everything the wind has to offer.  But it only does so when it has enough wind.

I didn't bring my watch so I don't know how fast I went - but it felt really fast.  I headed in and changed out the PNL185 over to the NL160, and I attached the leash extension and harness line.


Since it has been a while since I used the NL160, I made some inside runs and transitions to get reacquainted with it - then I saw Harris headed out to Firsts.

At first I was thinking "breaking in a new wing and heading out to Firsts... especially after losing the Ocean Rodeo the day before seems like throwing caution to the wind.  Call it what you want but I headed out.

Caught a few waves and then felt the afternoon winds starting to drop.  I headed to the inside and shortly after that the wind did die off.

After the session, I noticed the injuries I got from winging before I started using the OR came back quick - tennis elbow on my left elbow and a sore right shoulder.  I'm going to have to pay attention to how I use this wing so I don't get a lasting injury.

No comments: