Saturday, February 26, 2022

Dawn Patrol - 2/26/2022

There is a large WNW pushing through right now and WPB was getting some wrap.  Marlon and I checked it last night and there was energy in the water.  I opted for the 4'8" prone with the Kujira 1095 on the new 68cm PC mast.  Marlon brought his Seaside set up as a straight twin.


There was still energy in the water.  In fact the first wave I caught was a two for one and the next wave was a triple dip.  But then the conditions slightly changed and the rides took a turn for the worse.

It seemed to turn choppier and with the short mast and wider spanned HA front foil, for whatever reason I was breaching a lot - like almost every wave.  I already know the adjustments - either use the longer mast when I use the higher aspect ratio foils, or bolt on a lower aspect ratio foil when using the shorter mast in choppy or turbulent water conditions.

To throw another variable into the mix, I think part of the problem was keeping the nose up.  With the shorter mast, it seems as if the center of lift of the board-rider-foil system is altered, and in this specific case I needed to move the mast slightly forward.  Unfortunately I've been using regular bolts instead of the wing screws and I had to live with the placement.

I caught up with Marlon after and he said he had some really fun drops and some great turns.  Successfully dawn patrol if you ask me!

W:10/F:19/S:8

No comments: