Thursday, February 17, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 2/16/2022

And as luck would have it, there was a small window where the wind picked up enough for me to wing.  I got to the parking lot at Hickam by 1:30 and rigged up and in the water by 2.

When I drove up, the wind was actually dead.  But recently I've been paying more attention to the Surfline forecast and it has been better than the rest at predicting wind.  They said 3pm it should be 17mph.  I went ahead and bolted on the Kujira 1210 that I used in the dawn patrol since the wind was questionable, especially since I had the 4'8" Wing Board (I wanted to dial in the footstrap positions).

When I got into the water, I could see the wind starting to fill in and then everything in the universe was right.


This board is magic and despite it's propensity to sink if I don't have forward momentum, it gets off the water faster than any board I've ever used (flat tail and square rails).  After a few runs to get my bearings and to knock out some transitions, I went ahead and made my way out to Firsts (which I haven't actually done in quite some time).  


The wind was stronger out there so I only went down three times in 45 minutes.  I was able to ride several waves and I tacked and jibed without issue.  So much fun!!!

I went back in and adjusted the footstraps (pulled them back a notch) and headed back out to make sure they were set.  I had a couple more runs and called it good.


One of the other things I did this session was switch out the wing leash.  I had the Dakine bodyboarding one on previously, but put on the second Kaohi 5' double coil.  I do like these better.  If they get twisted, all you have to do is stretch it out and it resets.  It also gets around the harness line easier also.


These little strings are part of the bladder replacement repair job I got done at Airtime Kites.  The past two sessions were perfect and having a fully inflated wing that you can count on is a huge part of that!


W:7/F:15/S:8

No comments: