Sunday, February 13, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 2/13/2022

And as forecasted, the wind did pick up to wingable levels - but just barely.  I brought out the NWFB so I could get the 1095 positioned and the footstraps adjusted (and I also didn't think there was enough wind for the 4'8" wing board - although that's debatable with the flat tail/square rails - but I also needed to limit the variables).  I also brought out the newly repaired Ocean Rodeo A Series Glide 5.0.


I got the footstraps adjusted (moved everything 1 notch back - same indications I was getting from the last session).  This spot is also pretty good for the 1095 - with all the adjusting I'm constantly doing, I'm realizing that for winging the mast position is not ultra critical like it is in prone foil surfing - just get it close and it's all good.


The wind was strong/weak enough that I was really riding the gusts.  The repaired wing isn't just replaced bladders - the new bladders are thicker, has a backer near the valves and ends, and they also added taped on pull strings - all of these improvements so the bladder stays fixed in place more so than the stock version.  The repair was not cheap, but I believe I paid for more reliability and that is piece of mind in an already dangerous activity.

You can see the wind had a more northerly swing to it today.





Like I said earlier - riding the peaks today.  Good practice for getting up in low wind with a high aspect front foil (I really should use the 4'8" next time to see what the difference is - and if it is what I think it is, I'll likely be shaping another bigger wing board soon - with square rails and a straight tail).


Jim was out with a Blue Planet Alien 6.0m wing.  He seemed to be up more than I was - but was further down wind.

Harris was there with his family - and when he was pumping up, his strut bladder blew.  He showed us the bladder and it was right where most of the blown spots I've seen were - right on the seam along the head.

Fun to be winging again!!!

W:6/F:13/S:7

No comments: