Friday, April 24, 2020

Contemplating the Stubby

Instead of plunging head first into the last two sandings, I spent this afternoon contemplating the nose and tail.  I broke out the board ruler and measured, sanded, measured, sanded and stood back to take a look.


I got it to be mostly symmetrical (I know what I said earlier - but I did say I'd finish this board first before diverging into the realm of total asymmetry) - close enough that the glassing will make up for any differences.


I measured the thickness as it currently stands - 2 5/8".  A little thinner than I was hoping for - not sure at what point it dipped down beneath 2 7/8" - likely while I was cutting with the planer.  Glassing will put a little more thickness back onto the board.  As I am writing all this, I'm also researching the fin placement.  Tomorrow I will sand down the board with 120 and 180, then mark the finboxes and cut them out.  Depending on the rest of the day, I may try and laminate the bottom deck (but will likely wait until Sunday and laminate both this board and the new 4'10").

No comments: