Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Glassing the Top Deck

This afternoon, I got home from work a little later than normal, but I changed real quick into garage clothes and got to work on the Stubby.  I grinded the laps as flat as I could get them, and blew the dust off the board.  I then cut the fabric for the top deck - I used a full coverage Innegra layer (actually finished up the 4 yd roll I got), then a 6 oz patch where my feet will hit, and lastly another layer of 6 oz to cover nose to tail.  This is a little heavy, but it's in all the right places and I prefer my boards to be built to take it.



I had Marlon teach Noe how to mix the epoxy and after I just kept rolling the epoxy on.  Pretty uneventful - until the last minute where I thought I'd fill a transition and ended up jacking up the laminate where I'd always be looking at it while paddling.  I was able to fix it (everything is fixable) so the universe is in balance.


I checked on it to make sure there weren't any dry spots on the laminate, and that there weren't any air bubbles.  Tomorrow I'll grind the laps down where they wrap on to the bottom deck, then get a fill coat on to the top deck of the board first thing in the morning.  When I get home, I grind open the finboxes and address any voids in the laminate, followed by the fill coat.  That will lead into the leash plug install later tomorrow night, or first thing Thursday morning, followed by sanding.  Did I mention I hate glassing???



I'll keep plugging away at this board - hopefully there will be waves somewhere this weekend and this thing will be ready to ride.

No comments: