Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Glassing the Bottom Deck

Yesterday the kids and I got the bottom deck laminated.  I started by cutting out the fabric - full coverage of innegra and full coverage of 6 ounce cloth.  I folded back the cloth and set the fin boxes.  Then I dragged the kids out and hand Marlon mixing epoxy and Noe working the fin boxes to prevent air bubbles from developing.


Of the two decks, the bottom is always harder because of the fin boxes and the epoxy doesn't have a hard edge to grab on (like the top deck laps do grabbing onto the cured but still rough bottom deck).


The other issue with laminating the bottom deck is the laps often do lift - and that leaves air bubbles under the glass - especially on the tail and nose.  I went back before the epoxy fully cured and pushed down the bubbles (even though they really don't have any where to go since the epoxy has saturated the glass).  This is the first time I'm using innegra, and it is also the first time I'm using resin tint.  Why not - better to keep learning.


Did I mention I hate glassing???

No comments: