Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Final Sanding on Marlon's Board and The Stubby Taking Shape

I got home a little later than normal this evening - so surfing was not really an option.  Instead, I broke out the shaping rack and Marlon finished the 180 grit sanding.  He says he wants to paint the board, so the rest is up to him.  I told him to rinse the board with water to remove all the sanded particles - next I'll take him to Home Depot so he can get his paint.


I brought out the Stubby (not sure this name will stick - will have to think some more about this) and used the planer to set in rough rail bands.  After that I used to surform to even out the top and bottom decks.  I was running out of daylight so I called it quits after that.  I did take a good look at the overall board - I keep thinking I want to narrow out the nose so catching bigger waves will not be as difficult, but I'll probably just trim it down as I shape the rails and keep it mostly fuller.  This could actually be a longboard shape just greatly truncated in length.


Now that this board is getting its rough shape, I think I'll be more diligent about working on it - I can do the bottom rail tucked under cut and fair in the rails with dragon skin tomorrow.

No comments: