Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Fill Coat on the Top Deck

When I got home, I got to grinding the laps from the top deck lamination.  Lesson learned - the front laps closest to the nose don't need the second cut to shorten the overlap.  Since I've been doing this recently in rapid succession, I've noticed do this produces a gap in the laminate that has to be addressed during rough sanding.  Oh well - next time.



After that I grinded the finboxes down.  I went ahead and set the dual single fins in just to get a preview - WOW!  I am excited for the possibilities of this board!  There were some air bubbles in the finboxes and I went ahead and opened them up with the Dremel so the fill coat epoxy can get in those spaces.


Then I taped off the rail and epoxied the top deck.  I used 5.6 ounces and got the whole board covered.  The next steps include rough sanding (40-80) the top-bottom-rails, drilling a hole for the leash plug, setting the leash plug; grinding the leash plug down, sanding (120-180) everything down, applying the logo stickers (did not laminate this time and I don't want to spray paint this one), getting a light coat of epoxy over the vinyl stickers (top and bottom so two separate runs); sand the cover coat down (120-180), sand the whole board to 320-400, write in the dimensions, spray on a coat of urethane (again separate coats for top and bottom), then outfit the board - place the leash tether, clean up the finboxes, and get a coat of wax on it.  Considering all these remaining steps, I figure I have at least three more days of work, both mornings before going to work and in the evening after I get home.

No comments: